1/8/14

Novus Instinctus


    Novus instinctus is Latin for "new inspiration." Sometimes I happen upon things, either online or in my day-to-day meanderings that lead my mind to new spaces. These are things that give color to the grey, everyday humdrum of my pupil life.


{1} David and Goliath
My little brother gave me this book for Christmas. I recently had the pleasure of attending a talk where Malcolm Gladwell was being interviewed. And I immediately wanted to go out and buy one of his books. My parents were already fans of his, but I had never gotten around to actually picking up any of his work. Now that I have, I am engrossed. Although it's sociology, I'm finding it fascinating.

{2}"I See Fire"
I wasn't sure when I first heard this song that it measured up to the expectations I had for The Hobbit music. But as I listened to it more, I came to enjoy it. When I caught myself humming it while preparing a cup of tea, I knew I was hooked.


{3} Journal
One of my resolutions coming away from the New Year was to journal more. After receiving this gorgeous green book from brother for Christmas, I was even more excited to start writing.  I'm finding it's gratifying. The more I work through my thoughts on the page, the more I am able know how I feel.


"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions,in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

{4} 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
As the days and hours sluggishly drag me towards exams, there are moments when I feel absolutely helpless, when the work feels insurmountable. In those windows of time, this passage has been an enormous comfort. It reminds me that it's alright that I'm weak, because there is another who is strong.

Have a lovely and inspiring week!

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment