3/19/14

Oat Farls


     The fondest memories from my younger years often concern food and eating. I used to sit on the kitchen floor, in a particular corner, eating crackers with my little brother. Sometimes I would wake up to the delightful sound of sizzling pancakes and my mother bustling around the kitchen.  Oat farls played a not so small role in my childhood happiness.
      They are essentially moist oat cakes, probably created to use up old oatmeal. The recipe comes from a little Celtic cook book, in which I have found some of the most delectable tastes. Thankfully, this mixture is incredibly forgiving and very easy. I had neither buttermilk nor baking soda and the farls turned out fine. Instead of buttermilk I simply used regular milk.

Oat Farls

2 cups of rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/4 to 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

{1} The day before serving, mix the oats with 1 1/4 cups buttermilk. Cover with plastic wrap or plate and let stand overnight at room temperature (I made oatmeal the night before instead of this step.)
{2} Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
{3} Stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Gradually beating flour mixture into the oat mixture to form a soft dough. Add more buttermilk if necessary.
{4} On pan shape dough into circles about 4 in. across.
{5} Bake for about 40 minutes, until browned.



      These might seem a little plain on first taste, but slap some butter on them and you won't be able to stop eating them. When we were younger, my siblings and I, would eat them right out of the oven with butter and honey, so delicious. Oat farls are also good with jam or molasses.
      I wasn't too into oatmeal as a little girl, but these won me over.

Have a lovely day!

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment