10/29/14

Falling Back Into Austen

Aren't they so lovely? Let's just enjoy them for a moment. Now I want to watch the whole movie over again. Is that so wrong? {source}     
       I had a Jane Austen phase. A big one. I made my own regency gown and bonnet, which took extensive research on YouTube. I'd watch any film related to Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Lost in Austen, or Becoming Jane. My grandmother caught on and bought me anything Austen related. It lasted for a year or two and I then moved on to Harry Potter and action movies. But my grandma preferred to encourage my Austen addiction.
      Recently, one of my teachers assigned Northanger Abbey and I fell back in love with Jane Austen, but not only because of the romance and riveting plot, but because of  the sheer genius of her precise descriptions. She understands women and their ways. I'm again enamored with Jane.

I'm feeling quite victorious here.
Sewing back pleats is exhausting.
"In addition to what has been already said of Catherine Morland's personal and mental endowments, when about to be launched into all the difficulties and dangers of a six weeks' residence in Bath, it may be stated, for the reader's more certain information, lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be, that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open, without conceit or affectation of any kind-- her manners just removed from the awkwardness and the shyness of a girl; her person pleasing, when in good looks, pretty-- and her mind about as ignorant and uninformed as the female mind at seventeen usually is."                                                                                                ~Northanger Abbey, Chapter 2
                                                                               

                    Veronica A.



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post! The captions under the photos made me laugh. And that dress! So awesome! You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete