11/19/14

When I Tried to Spell 'Gourd'


    I'm going to let you in on a little secret about my blog posts...my mom reads and critiques every-single one.  The collaboration has most definitely effected my composition for the better. However, sometimes we disagree.
    Last week as I was preparing my post about the Pumpkin French toast when my mom commented that I had spelled 'gourd' wrong. I asserted that my spelling of 'gourde' was correct. So I did what any 21st century teen does when she has a question, I googled it. And this is what came up:


     At this point, I wasn't as disappointed at my lack of spelling skills as I was amused at how I had happened upon this odd fact.
     I then went on to learn that the gourde was first introduced in Haiti in 1813 in replacement of the livre, the conversion being 1 gourde= 8 livres. Most commonly the bank note is used in the values of 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 gourde. Fascinatingly, 1 U.S. Dollar is equivalent to 46.22 Haitian Gourdes.








I'm not exactly sure what the lesson of all this is.
Veronica A.

No comments:

Post a Comment